Simply Suhandy

Sunday, August 26, 2007

Sharing my first 'message' in Maid's Fellowship

There is a growing group of maids in my church. Though not all have accepted Christ, but most are open to the message. Perhaps because my church is rather small, the congregation member are very close and welcoming. Naturally, the maids feel at home and willing to come and meet with other church members and fellow maids in Sundays.

Every fourth Sunday, there is a maid fellowship, or Maria-Martha Fellowship as we named it. And today, I got the privilege to share a message to them.

I was quite reluctant, and scared when offered the opportunity 3 weeks ago. If I accepted the offer, it will be the first time I ever 'preach' to the public. After some consideration, I accepted the honored task. I continued to pray for guidance in order to preach well (I wasn't given any theme for the message).

During the preparations, I decided to share a message based on the faithful servant of Abraham - Eliezer. This is definitely a quite obscure figure to preach on, compared to Abraham and Isaac. But I think God has opened my eyes to see the virtue and loyalty in the life of Eliezer and to draw a direct line to the life of the maids in Singapore.

1. Eliezer was a foreigner. He is from Damascus, a nation different from Abraham's.
2. Eliezer was willing to work hard. He mastered the skill and able to manage Abraham's entire household
3. Eliezer was trustworthy. He was given power over all of Abraham's household, this is similar to the life of Joseph.
4. Eliezer was considered as a part of Abraham's family. At one point of time, Abraham considered Eliezer as the heir of his family. That is before Isaac was born.
5. Eliezer continued to serve faithfully. Even after Isaac was born, Eliezer still serve his master faithfully. He was entrusted to a major task, to find a wife for Isaac. He did not care that his supposed inheritance is no more. He continued to complete the most important task that Abraham has given him.

To draw this to a direct application to the maids, it means that eventhough they are at first foreigner, but they can prove that they are capable by hardworking, they can prove that they are trustworthy by being honest, and if they are able to keep doing good work and stay honest, they will be accepted as part of the family. They will be entrusted to even the most important task in the family.

I hope that my message can land in each of the 15 maids' hearts and bring hope and encouragement to them. I thank God for the opportunity to serve Him in this way.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

 

Free Blog Counter