Simply Suhandy

Wednesday, September 19, 2007

A packet of pocket tissue

haaa.. haaaa.. chiu....

How much would you be willing to pay for a packet of pocket tissue?
it depends...
depends on the brand...
depends on the quality...
depends on the quantity ...

I was having a runny nose on last sunday, and my spare packet of pocket tissue was used up. So I went to guardian to look for tissue paper.

$1.95, Guardian soft handkerchief. 12 packets x 8 x 4 ply
It is a bit too 'luxury' for me if I buy this, as now I am without income, so I searched for other option.

$2.95, Guardian soft handkerchief. 20 packets x 10 x 3 ply
This one is of relatively poorer quality, but still a very good. Since there is no other option I opt to buy this one.

My friend usually buy tissue from old uncles or tissues who peddles near HDB flats to sell tissue paper. I commented that sometimes, those people are richer than us. So what? my friend said. So what... I ponder in my heart.

Yesterday, as I was on the way home from the church, I walk through Bukit Batok Bus Interchange. There was this old grandma who always sells pocket tissue at that place. It was late at 10 pm and she was still there selling pocket tissue. Except that this time she was no longer sitting, but standing, holding her basketfull of pocket tissue and trembling as she did so. Her face was of a really tired and panic look.

Without a second thought, I took up a two-dollars note and gave it to her. So what if she is richer than me. So what if the tissue is of poor quality. So what if I have not much money left in the wallet. My only hope was that the old grandma would go home early if she had one. I did not know how many more she needed to sell. But I was glad that I did it, and looking at her smile back at me, it was priceless, all my weary for the day was gone.

Too often, when we want to do an act of kindness, we simply ask too much. When the ratio kicked in, a lot of the time compassion died out. We should not ask: "is it worth it?" but rather we should ask "what would Jesus do, if He is here?" What if He asked me in the end: "Why didn't you buy tissue paper from Me, even though I was tired, cold, hungry in the late of night?"

A simple act of kindness does not require a reason. An act of kindness reflects who you are, not who he/she is. Remember, God loves us, because He is love, not because we are lovely......

I was given 15 packets of pocket tissue for the two dollars. And I will go back for more...

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

 

Free Blog Counter