Simply Suhandy

Sunday, April 03, 2011

Pain – The Body’s Natural Alarm


Most normal people do not like to be in pain. Pain, however, can be regarded as one of the gifts from God, not in a negative sense. In his book, “The Gift of Pain”, Philip Yancey and co-author Dr. Paul Brand discussed at length about the function of pain in our body.

Having read the book years ago, now I fully understand what Yancey and Dr. Brand explained, not just in theory, but in real life experience.

About 3 months ago, I started to feel pain on my left heel. The pain did not go away, and I have to wear sandals with soft insoles even in the house. Recently, I got a brochure for free body pain analysis, and after emptying my wallet and bringing only my EZ-Link card and my IC (to avoid signing up for something that I will regret later), I went to get the free service.

The analysis was quite simple and logical. The physiotherapist took my pictures: front, back, left, right, in front of a wall with square brackets. The result was astounding. Under my ‘normal’ standing position, my whole body was (is) slanted to the right. As a result, my right feet arc collapses, right knee misaligned, right hipbones and right shoulder are significantly lower than left.

I remembered my sermon last month: “what we are familiar with may not be correct” I said. I always carry my bags on my right side, and perhaps the way I sit, I stand and I sleep is wrong, but because I was familiar or used to the same “incorrect” posture, slowly but surely, damage started to appear.

I thank God for allowing the pain in my heel as an alarm to me. I have signed up for Pilate in a CC, and pray to God that through it my problem can be resolved.

Brothers and sisters in Christ, is there anything that you have been doing in your life that is equally “normal”, but may not be exactly right with God? or are you “hurting” in certain kind of relationship, but do not know why, because you simply do the things that you always do? Those are perhaps alarm for you to get a “check up.”

My advice: Dial Up to God. He is available 24/7. You can use Direct-Call (prayer) to reach Him or alternatively you can contact Him through FaithBook (the Bible). If you still feel unsure, the pastoral contact details are available in page 5 of this bulletin. We are here for you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

 

Free Blog Counter