Simply Suhandy

Thursday, October 09, 2008

To stay or not to stay

During my first year, I wanted to stay in the hostel, but was rejected (even though there were empty beds). It was a norm to spend 30-45 minutes to travel to and fro the school to my home in Ghim Moh. The struggle was that I needed to wake up at around 7 or earlier in order to make it on time for the morning 8 am classes.

And so, in the second year, I decided to move in. And this time, my request was approved.

With this decision, I hoped that:
1. I will have more sleep/rest
2. I will save on travel time and transport
3. I will save on food money
4. I will have more time to interact with my friends and study together

Unfortunately, most, if not all of the above wishes are going down the drain.
1. I ended up sleeping at 2 or 3 am in night, and have to wake up at 6.30 am to clean the toilet, mob the floor, etc.
2. The routine travel time is saved. But to travel from SBC to anywhere (church,home), especially after school is a pain, because of the peak hour traffic jam.
3. The food money in campus increased from 5 dollars a day to 7 dollars a day, and if you missed a meal, that's your problem. If you come late and there are no more food, that is also your problem. Not to mention that the food variety in SBC is pretty 'limited'
4. There are times to interact with friends and study together, but studying may not be effective. I don't even have time to sleep in the afternoon without interruption (people playing basketball, football in the court in front of my room)
5. My room is facing the afternoon sun and is still hot even at night time. Sometimes at 2-3 am, it is still hot and not to mention there are flying insects everywhere.

Last but not least, next semester, they are going to increase the rental and the food fee as well as the school fee again. Some of it maybe rumour, but others are definitely going to happen, especially since the school has just opened the new block 5.

With all these considerations, and that the church will not increase the support for me, I decided to move out from the hostel.

Yes, to stay out is a bit troublesome. But considering these points:
1. I still wake up early, but don't need to fight for toilet, don't need to clean the messiness of some inconsiderate student, don't need to do so many duties.
2. The saving of travel time, perhaps is nothing compared to the comfort that I can have studying in my room.
3. The freedom to choose food I eat, without fearing to eat some leftovers with chances to get food poisoning (there are rats, they say, in the kitchen).
4. The saving of the additional money that I have to fork out for the hostel (600 dollars or more per 6 months) will allow me to buy more books and save for the future.

To stay or not to stay? ... the answer is... to stay..!! yes.. stay at home :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

 

Free Blog Counter