Simply Suhandy

Sunday, August 05, 2007

Love Above All - The Musical

Love Above All - The Story of Jim and Elisabeth Elliot

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep, to gain what he cannot lose" - Jim Elliot

This is an original musical production by Mount Carmel Bible Presbyterian Church. Having said that, it does not mean that the musical is of a meager standard. On the contrary, the musical was of great standard, as it included most components that a good musical should have. I do not say this because I am a Christian, but I say so, based on my experiences in watching many live musical performances.

In term of story line, there is not much to say about since the musical is adapted from the true story of Jim and Elisabeth, those that are recorded and published in books. One may find similarity between this musical and the movie "The End of The Spears", however, one may also find that some part of the story is over simplified. Be it the movie, or the musical, we may not know which is truer or which is better. I believe both has conveyed the right message to the audience.

Music, Choreography, Stage settings and scripts are also wonderfully done. Grand choruses, Duets, Trios, Children song, and the role of a protagonist in the musical follows what the great musicals always have (les miserables, miss saigon, oliver, etc).

One of the songs that touched me most, is the song sung by Jim:
He is No Fool

He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep
To gain what he cannot lose

He is no fool, he is no fool,

who gives what he can never keep.

He is no fool, he is no fool,

who gains what he can never lose.


What if I gain the world and all that it's worth

and lose my soul in exchange

I' be a fool to lose it all
for what will soon pass away
I have one life, one life to live,

so help me Lord, to wisely choose.


He was no fool who g
ave His life on the crosss,
Who died the world to redeem.

He paid my debt and set me free,

and now I am no more my own.

No greater love could claim my life,

To give my all I gladly choose,

To give my all I gladly choose


This is not the first time the musical was staged in Singapore. The premier was at 2003, and I sincerely hope that let this not be the last. It is easy to find a good musical, it is rare to find a christian musical, and it this is definitely one of the rarest good christian musical available today.


Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

 

Free Blog Counter