Simply Suhandy

Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Standard Chartered Bank - Worst Banking Service in town?

I seldom openly criticizes people (yang bener...) or bank. But this time round I have to. And for the sake of the others who do not understand Indonesian, I shall do this in English.

At around the 3rd week of June, I received a telemarketing officer, offering a CashOne Loan Application on behalf of Standard Chartered Bank, Singapore. The officer was persistence (as usual), and insist on giving me a loan which I do not need. He later assured me that after the loan was processed, an acceptance letter will be sent to me for me to approve, and I can always cancel the loan if I am not happy with the loan facility. With that assurance, I agreed to have the application processed.

Soon, on the 2nd July, I received a letter from Standard Chartered Bank, saying that my loan application was successful, and the amount agreed was already deposited into my bank account. I was quite annoyed. I thought that only when I signed the acceptance letter will the loan be given to me. Apparently my understanding, or what was conveyed to me by the telemarketer was wrong.

On the 3rd July, I called the customer service hotline 1800-747-7000 for SC Bank, for cancellation of the Loan Facility. After communicating for 10 minutes, I was told that the cancellation was triggered, and within 10 days, I should received a cancellation letter, which I have to sign and return it to the Bank.

On 18th July, no letter was received, no call from the bank either. I called back to the bank. Another officer said that he will put a request for cancellation for me.

On 25th July, no letter, no call. Again I called the bank. This time round the officer was a bit more informative. He said that the first request was rejected, because of a mistake done by the officer who initiated the request. He said the second cancellation request is being processed. I am supposed to receive the letter anytime next week, and I should call them again if I do not receive anything.

On 1st August, no letter, but a call. A call from their debt-collecting department. A call asking me to pay for a loan that I do not require, that I have not accepted, that I have request for cancellation but 28 days after my first request nothing has been done. I was frustrated and agitated. Later on, I called to the Customer Service again, and complained about this. I was advised to proceed to the branch for cancellation instead.

On 1st August, I walked into the Standard Chartered Bank - Holland Village branch and have my cancellation request processed. I wrote the cheques, returned the money that was transferred to my account.

What kind of service is this??!! I have to make 4 phone calls to the customer service, and even now, I don't know what is being done, or if anything is being done at all. I have to spend an afternoon walking down to the bank to personally handle the cancellation. Time is wasted and who is responsible for this? I don't believe that all the pains that I have gone through are 'normal' or 'proper'. I believe an apology is due by the bank to me.

Should I receive any other call from the bank asking me to pay money for the loan that I have canceled and returned in full amount, I will write a longer article and post it to Today.

Labels:

1 Comments:

  • At 10:19 am , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I must agree with you that the bank's handling of your case can be better. But this post really makes you sound silly. It takes two hands to clap. You know you don't need it yet you went ahead with it. I seriously hope you reflect on your own actions too.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

 

Free Blog Counter